For the first time Bulgaria will adopt a new operational programme dedicated to the development of science and education. The Operational Programme “Science and Education for Smart Growth” (OP SESG) will be managed by the Ministry of Education and Science (MES) with a total budget of BGN 1.37 billion (to be secured through European and national funding).
The Operational Programme “Science and Education for Smart Growth” 2014-2020 translates its logic into two main tasks:
- To be one of the key instruments for achieving the targets adopted by Bulgaria under the Europe 2020 strategy for smart, sustainable and inclusive growth;
- To serve as an effective tool for the implementation of cohesion policies in accordance with the agenda at national and Community level.
The key targets set up by OP SESG within the context of Europe 2020 will be:
- To increase the share of investment in science and research to 1.5% of the GDP;
- To reduce the share of early school leavers below 11%;
- To increase the share of higher education graduates among 30-34 year-olds to 36%.
OP SESG will be the only multi-fund operational programme in the next programming period, to be financed from the European Social Fund and the European Regional Development Fund.
The Programme will cover four priority axes:
- Research and technological development;
- Education and lifelong learning;
- Educational environment for active social inclusion; and
- Technical assistance.